Nobius Black's
White Rabbit-*BLACK HOLE*

Killing the bunny everyday.
Live. In Stereo.


White Rabbit - *BLACK HOLE* --FALL IN!

Thoughts fall out before the head explodes!

Thursday, August 25, 2005


False Or True In No Med Land

Neil Gaiman: False Or True. Neil tells us what it's like to finish a story that even he didn't know the ending to, until he got there.

I was going to come home and write about all kinds of things but looking at the clock it's already after five a.m. There's something about working nights that just isn't fair.

But I do get one of these cool dual flat screen monitors to use:



Whoever said getting paid once a month was a good thing never had kids. :) I'm out of money until Kalisa and I can get our savings built back up and I've run out of Anti-anxiety meds. I feel like sh*t, and look even worse. I didn't see that mac truck but I sure felt the f*cking thing. Those racing thoughts will kill you.

And this is why not only am I working hard to learn my new job, I want to get a few things going on the side. Something that will produce some actual cash. I will never forget this feeling of hopelessness when there isn't enough money ever again. Now is the time to do something about it.

Only in America can one work over fifty hours a week, own no credit cards, have no outstanding loans (I don't borrow money either), and still go without necessities. Ladies and gentlemen, we've been lied too. The American Dream is a sham. But more on that in another post...

I finished my next Blue Rabbit Chronicles. It's seven pages contain poetry, a flash fiction, mailing comments, a biography on my job search where I liken it to a journey through the desert, and some ideas I have to promote the
APA.

I also finished my next Warren Ellis Special which is much different from previous issues in that this one contains graphics/pictures.

Saw a nice little newsletter publishing program at Target for about twenty bucks that I'm going to buy. I also have a Dummies book on Microsoft Publisher. Want to make my zines look good. (Plus there are other obvious benefits to learning Desk Top Publishing.) I'm going to change the title of BRC to White Rabbit Falls once I've got the new design going.

Did I mention my new office is located next to BIG CORPORATE GIANT TRUCKING'S library? Not to try and find coincidence where there is none, but it's definitely a good thing. Our corporate library is called the Business Resource Center and it definitely lives up to it's name. It contains a wide range of resources for professional and personal research needs including books, market research studies, analyst commentaries, industry reports, and non-print media materials available for checkout. I'll BLOG some of the books soon. If I just had a sponge that could soak them all up and put them straight into my head!

It's amazing how poor the training material is in my new job. My bosses had good intention but didn't go nearly far enough. Most companies don't. Most of it looks and feels like it was created by someone who had already mastered what they were doing and forgot what it was like to be green.

We have a great corporate intranet site and plenty of nice instruction manuals, etc. But everything is haphazardly spread here and there, some things are never updated, while other important pieces of information are available in ten different locations. How about when an S.O.P. is distributed by email or voice mail but no one updates the manual? Just finding the training materials a person needs is a job in itself!

When I write training things for work, I like them kept on a hard drive in "viral" form where they can easily be found and obtained when needed. However, I think new people should always "get the real thing". There's something about reading a book that makes it easier to learn and remember. (And it's portable.) I've heard that the average person reads 25% faster and retains more when material is given in print form. So much for high tech. :)

I would be a great trainer. More importantly I like writing training documentation and just plain enjoy teaching people. Sure I want to write the great American novel and plenty of comics, zines, and poetry books, but I also want to write an instruction manual. A good one.

One that even I'd use!

-posted by Nobius 5:29 AM #
Comments: "
Warren Ellis is cool. Though I do have a soft spot for Frank Miller's Batman and his Sin City graphic novels.

However, I'm pretty much a Marvel freak.

Have you read Neil Gaiman's work that he did for Marvel? 1602?
 
" "
I read nearly everything Ellis produces. He's hands down my favorite author, if you couldn't guess from looking at the side bar on this blog. :)

Being on a limited comic budget (unfortunately) I don't read much Marvel. I've not yet read 1602, though I'm sure I will someday.

I love all types of comics but the super hero genre is my least favorite. I'm more of a science ficition person which is why I don't read Marvel a lot.

I do miss Spiderman though. :)
 
" Post a Comment